Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Step Back or Plunge Ahead?

Hi!  I pray you are off to a great start to your week!  Thought I'd share a lesson from last week with you..

Ever need to take a step backwards?  That's how last week felt to me.  I had surgery on Monday to put the bone in my hand back together.  (Thank you for all the prayers!  I'm doing well with very little pain!)  Because it was 5+ days with a removable splint & bruising had gone down & pain very minimal, it was rather disappointing to wake up from surgery with a cast, swelling, pain, etc. to deal with.  It felt like a few steps backward.  I had begun to heal & was even able to do small tasks with my thumb & forefinger.  I'd even used my hand as a support for a couple things.  I could take it off to shower or just get a break; I could also begin to move my fingers a bit.

Now, I felt back to square one!  However, it was necessary to 'go backwards', and get things set right, in order to move ahead and have FULL use of my hand later.  I remember when I was little, my grandmother broke her wrist.  She hated going to drs or hospitals so much that she never told anyone about it.  Every time we visited, for weeks, she would be sitting with her hand under her apron, 'resting'.  It healed, but it was crooked & not fully functional for the rest of her life.

I know that to regain use of my hand, I must allow the drs to set me back a week or so.

 Psalms 107:17-22 Some of you were sick because you’d lived a bad life, your bodies feeling the effects of your sin; You couldn’t stand the sight of food, so miserable you thought you’d be better off dead. Then you called out to God in your desperate condition; he got you out in the nick of time. He spoke the word that healed you, that pulled you back from the brink of death. So thank God for his marvelous love, for his miracle mercy to the children he loves; Offer thanksgiving sacrifices, tell the world what he’s done—sing it out!

It is the same, sometimes, with our Heavenly Physician!  There are times that we must allow God to take us 'back' and get things 'set right' so we can move forward into our FULL potential!

 2 Corinthians 13:5  Test yourselves to make sure you are solid in the faith. Don’t drift along taking everything for granted. Give yourselves regular checkups. You need firsthand evidence, not mere hearsay, that Jesus Christ is in you. Test it out. If you fail the test, do something about it.

An example of this also happened this week.. (btw, if God is teaching you something, expect to Walk Through It!;-)   )  I had a conversation with one of my kids this week, part of which was me discussing something I'd observed him doing.  He took my comments as being critical.  My intention was to point it out & encourage a different action in the future.  However, to his seeing it as critical, we have history there.  In the past, I could be rather harsh & critical.  Thankfully God changing that part of me, but his past experiences have left a crooked healing & are not allowing our relationship to see its best potential!  I had to step back, evaluate what brought him to this place & make it right.  I needed to not just plunge ahead with the 'new' me and expect him to be new too.  I needed to ask forgiveness and make the past right.  NOW, we can BOTH move forward and see complete healing, allowing God to use us with greater potential.
 
 James 5:16  Make this your common practice: Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed.

It is not ALWAYS necessary to go back. In fact, it is sometimes vital NOT to.. don't return to danger!  But if there are places you have allowed to not heal correctly or completely, evaluate.  It may simply be a matter between you & God.  It may require seeking forgiveness from another.  Either way, it's worth the short term step back to go forward with confidence that you will function better & more fully!   One more caution.. don't stay in the past or dwell on it.. Get to moving forward quickly!

 John 5:8 Jesus said to him, “Get up, take up your bed, and walk.”



Love you all!

P.S.  I get my cast off today! ;-)   Then therapy can begin!


No comments:

Post a Comment