Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Do You Have Fruit Flies Hanging Around?

Hey!   It's been a crazy week here in WNY!  We've had many towns around get record snow falls in a 24hr period and many, many friends are VERY SLOWLY digging out!   More is on it's way over the next 24 hrs... please keep us in prayer!

Something else, not quite so crazy but very interesting, has been happening this week...  Fruit Flies keep coming up!  I've noticed a few comments on FB about them.  I talked to someone on the phone yesterday that was complaining about them.   And today I had one that kept flying right in my face!  Just one, and we have no fruit, or anything else that would attract them, around.   So I started thinking... what's with the fruit fly?   Why one?   Why now?   Why do they keep coming up?    Next question...   Lord, what's up with the fruit flies?    His answer...   Make sure you don't have any fruit flies in your life!    Okay....!??   

So what brings fruit flies around...  really ripe fruit, or anything sweet that is fermenting.   Um... Lord, I have no ripe fruit here or anything fermenting.   His reply...  Are you sure?   I also want you to make sure you don't have anything attracting them in the future.   Okay....!??

So I get my head out of earth and ascend to the clouds.  :)   Is there fruit in my spiritual life that is getting old, too ripe?   Perhaps even rotting and/or fermenting.   This is where fruit flies lay their eggs and become even more fruit flies!   I definitely don't want that!

So is there spiritual fruit that I am letting go to waste?    I'd like to say, no.  But truth is, yes.   There is definitely fruit that God has given that is not being used.

One scripture we are all familiar with...  Gal 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness, self-control."

Do I have love I have left unshared?   Is the joy of the Lord always evident in me?   Did I practice ALL the patience I could have this week?  Was I as gentle as I needed to be when speaking to my family?   Did self-control rule the day when someone didn't listen to me?   and these are just a few of the kinds of fruit we have.   

Fruit also indicates any areas of harvesting/productivity in our lives.   Has God asked me to do something that I am not doing?   Was there someone I was supposed to pray for and didn't take the time?   Or call them to encourage and bring life and didn't bother?   Am I using my time wisely?   Am I leaving things undone that shouldn't be ignored?    Did my day produce ALL that God had for me or did I leave some fruit on the tree/vine and let it rot?

How about you?   Is there fruit you are leaving, letting it get too ripe and attracting fruit flies?

I pray we all strive to be ALL that God calls us to be and to use all our fruit wisely and timely!


Ephesians 5:11-16

Don’t waste your time on useless work, mere busywork, the barren pursuits of darkness. Expose these things for the sham they are. It’s a scandal when people waste their lives on things they must do in the darkness where no one will see. Rip the cover off those frauds and see how attractive they look in the light of Christ.
Wake up from your sleep,
Climb out of your coffins;
Christ will show you the light!
So watch your step. Use your head. Make the most of every chance you get. These are desperate times!

No comments:

Post a Comment